Birthdays have always been quite ordinary for me. Thats mostly because they always seem to have this inherent affinity for examinations! Or is it the other way around? I remember having spent birthdays just two days before a CET exam and even birthdays where i've spent almost half a day in tuitions. I was expecting more of the same this time around, as i had my first exam just two days after my birthday. A "date with Korth"(which is my DBMS text-book btw, before you start having those silly visuals in your crafty mind) is how i had foreseen my day to be! A usual barrage of calls to wish me, the celebrity that i am, is all i had expected, to be absolutely honest! The only other thing i was looking forward to was my birthday gift which my parents would give me. And of course, the Dominoes Extra-Large Mexican-Green Wave pizza with extra cheese that i had planned to order for dinner(damn, i'm hungry now). Well, i thought that would probably be enough to satiate me for the day. I remember, while studying on the eve of my birthday, i was dreaming about what an ideal b'day would be like. I won't go into the details, but i'll tell you i ended up smiling from ear-to-ear, wishing it would be true one day. I had no idea what was in store for me the next day though. Deep inside, i wanted it to be special. But as i stared back at the thousand-page dinosaur of a book that is Korth, it seemed less and less likely.
May 19:
So the day was finally here! As i had my usual morning cuppa, i read all the text-messages sent by different people the previous night. And i thought about all the people who had called up to wish me, especially the mammoth, fun-filled conversation that i had with my college friends the other night. I couldn't help but smile. Its almost like you're suddenly thrown into spotlight for a day. You're suddenly the person that gets the most attention. You're like this film-star who's just walked into a local-train compartment. Haha, well, i loved it you know! Anyone would actually! But as i went through my daily routine, i wondered if my day would be eventful. My heart said yes, but my mind said otherwise.
11:15 am:
Saurajit calls me to say that he's gonna hop over to my place to sort out a few DBMS notes in about 30 minutes. I rushed to have my bath, least expecting what was in store for me next. I was then at my balcony, looking out, when i spotted him sneak into my building. And then he looks up and looks around in the weirdest manner possible. As if he's some terrorist wanting to plant a bomb and looking around to make sure no one's noticing. The moment he spotted me, i could almost hear him say,
"oh damn!". He obviously didn't want to get noticed, but i wondered why. He then told me he's got some work and he needs to go somewhere, and that he'll be back in about 15-20 minutes. I was like, "Okay!". I waited for him for almost 45 minutes thereafter, and he didn't come. Then the doorbell rang, he entered. We then came into my room and started discussing random stuff. He went in and out of the room almost thrice after that, claiming he wanted water. I decided to assume some weird spirit had entered into him which was making him behave the way he was behaving today! And then, out of nowhere, my college friends barged into my room shouting out those magic words, "SUUURRRRPRISSEEEE!!!!!". I swear i almost had a heart-attack at that time. It took me a few seconds to gain composure and realize what was actually happening! And then i couldn't believe it! I was so taken aback, i didn't know how to react!! There are moments when you're lost for words, and this was bloody it! I stood there wondering if this was for real! I mean, i wanted to pinch myself real bad!! I was still lost for words! I looked at the smiling faces of Yogi, Fakhru, Saurajit, Tarun
and Pratik. And all i could do was smile back. You know, i suddenly had this urge to hug each and every one of them!! But i was so numb with happiness, i didn't even do that! Un-blaaaahdy-believable i say!! :D
Before i could thank them all, they brought the birthday cake, as you can see below.

It was like the best birthday cake ever!! I was in mega-drool mode! We cut the cake, and then of course i realized what they'd got for me. They gifted me this awesome collage of a few of my pics, that perfectly described my "supposed" narcissistic character. Heh!

If you browse through the pics in clock-wise motion, you realise that my head turns around a full-circle during the course of this motion. Lol, i still cant help laughing at it. But wait, that collage had something written on the back too.

The Nine Commandments, as i'd call it! I'm not going to explain them to you. Figure what they mean on your own. ;) But i still can't stop grinning when i look at them! It's like the rules i must follow until my next birthday. Atleast. Heh, some really high hopes my friends seem to have! :P
Now i was sooper-dooper mega pleased!! But wait, there was more! All of my friends had chipped in and bought me these really cool pair of sunglasses!! Now there's an awesome story related to these sunglasses and how they were bought! I'll tell you about it next time, cos i'll take another blog-post to explain that!! Haha, am i right, Yogita? ;)
Well, i have never been as happy as i was that day! It was the best birthday EVER! And now i request you to read my first paragraph again. Then you'll probably agree with me! A super-huge thank you to everyone of my friends!! I owe them a lot for making my day so so so so special! You know, it was the first time in a while i've actually felt good about myself. When they left my place, the first thing i did was to turn to God and thank him for giving me priceless friends like these! I mean, who would waste almost 4 hours of their time to come from far off, and wish me and give me my best birthday ever, and that too just 2 days before a University exam!! The thought of that makes me feel even more indebted to them.
The events of the day obviously paled the Dominoes Pizza i had ordered later on, into insignificance. As i sat on my bed and thought of the events of the day, i couldn't help but smile and remember that it was just 24 hours before this when i was hoping for/thinking about a dream birthday. Talk about dreams coming true!
Almost four days afterward, i still remember every moment of that day so vivdly. I'm never going to forget this for the rest of my life. NEVER! You know, i could write pages and pages on this. But i have to really get back to studies now. Tick Tock, says my clock! Oh well.
Finally, all i'd like to say is:
Muchas gracias, amigos! ¡Usted personas son maravillosas!
~maƱana~
No comments:
Post a Comment